David Henderson is a seasoned advisor to CEOs and other senior executives. He shows them how to enhance their corporate image in today’s fiercely competitive and sometimes seemingly unnavigable digital world. David’s expertise is most important when even little things go wrong that could jeopardize a company’s reputation and success, let alone when a full-blown crisis hits (and no company is immune from that). He advises corporate leaders on the dynamics of communications and on controlling news coverage — namely, what’s effective, what’s not.
David has rare and substantive credentials. He was an Emmy Award-winning investigative reporter for CBS News and CBS’s bureau chief in Asia. He is a published author of books that track evolving trends in today’s media and communications techniques. David is an acknowledged global expert when it comes to utilizing digital technology in helping companies achieve authentic differentiation and competitive leadership.
Here are some career highlights followed by detail:
- Emmy Award winning former CBS Network News correspondent; investigative news unit at the CBS Evening News and CBS Morning News; and network television and radio correspondent/bureau chief/producer in New York, Tokyo and Hong Kong.
- While on an 18 month assignment as CBS News bureau chief, producer and correspondent in Asia, David developed high level contacts with the communist government of North Vietnam and negotiated first-ever news coverage within that country by a western television network. As a result, CBS News correspondent John Hart was the first American television newsman to report from North Vietnam. During that time, David made 12 trips to South Vietnam to cover the ongoing conflict there.
- David was awarded a national Emmy Award while at CBS News for a series of reports on airline accidents that ultimately led to a change in federal aviation regulation and made airline travel safer.
- Pioneer in utilizing the evolving trends of digital and online news storytelling through unique strategic planning approaches as mainstream news media shrinks globally.
- Author of three books on changing strategies, styles and methods for effective communications in an ever-changing media world. Two of the books are used widely as university textbooks.
- Publisher and co-founder of BoomerCafé.com, the original (launch in 1999) and most popular site for baby boomers with active lifestyles.
- Lecturer on the recognition that corporate reputation is a far more valuable asset than tactical brand approaches. He reaches insights of digital influence at George Washington University and the University of Virginia as well as countless training conferences worldwide.
- Piloted recalibrating the corporate reputation and image of Gulfstream Aerospace as Vice President for global communications and marketing. His work positioned the company for a successful IPO, filled the order books for the $40-million Gulfstream V long-range corporate aircraft, and firmly established the name “Gulfstream” the hallmark of corporate aviation.
- Worked directly with the Louisiana seafood industry immediately after the massive BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico to rebuild the renowned seafood industry and restore jobs along the Gulf coast through a multi-million dollar settlement with BP. His work accurately controlled the news narrative for the armies of news media that descended on southern Louisiana, looking for stories. Among the positive results, bayou communities were made whole again.
- Regained essential access for BBC News Washington bureau after 9-11 when the White House, Pentagon and State Department were put off-limits to foreign news media. David reopened those doors for the journalists of the world’s largest news organization.
David’s consultancy has taken a new approach to quantifiable and technology driven communications, grounded in the tenets of good journalism, integrity, exceptional crisis management, and committed to helping CEOs and top executives competitively differentiate and transform the image and reputation of their organizations. He is skilled at positioning companies for IPOs – initial public offerings – and international economic development. David has advised major clients including CSX Transportation, Goodrich, Bombardier, and Gulfstream.
For instance, David piloted the image of Gulfstream Aerospace to become the hallmark of corporate aviation worldwide by positioning the competitive advantages of owning a GV – creating the notion that owning a Gulfstream is a valued and essential tool for business success. It was a dramatic shift away from the company that once saw itself as just making aircraft. The rebranding resulted in an unprecedented 400 percent sales growth and positioned Gulfstream for an over-subscribed $2-Billion IPO.
He has written four books on the media and evolving communications trends. The most recent is Making News in the Digital Era.
Stories unite people.
Storytelling – using the disciplines of journalism – is a powerful tool for moving people emotionally, improving retention and response to messages.
For more than 20 years, David’s signature style has been to use the power of stories to unite people. Real stories – timely, appealing, visual – capture favorable audience awareness for clients. It is a technique that eclipses traditional media relations and PR tactics.
Connections in technology and online.
“David Henderson gets it. He knows the online media world and has interesting things to say.
Besides, he’s the dude who got me on Twitter.”
@RainnWilson today has more than four (4) million followers on Twitter.com.
In 1999, David teamed with long-time friend and fellow journalist Greg Dobbs to launch BoomerCafé.com, one of today’s most popular online magazines for baby boomers with active lifestyles. He actively continues as Publisher and Co-Founder of BoomerCafé and is a leading expert in how to market to and connect with baby boomers.
Blue ribbon clients.
David has provided professional strategic communications counsel to clients around the world, including reputation management, media relations, media interview techniques and crisis communications. He has worked together with BBC News, Cornell University, Technion University, Saint Mary’s University of Minnesota, the University of Rochester Simon Graduate School of Business, CSX Transportation, Retirement Living TV, Imperial Sugar Company, Bombardier Aerospace, Learjet, ICB Kuwait, National 4-H Council, Louisiana Seafood Promotion and Marketing Board and numerous other corporations and organizations.
Exceptional accomplishments and credentials.
Among his many achievements, David directed high profile public affairs and media advocacy in support of litigation before federal courts and the United States Supreme Court.
His most recent of four books is “Making News in the Digital Era,” published by Author Solutions (ISBN 978-1440153075). The book explores new marketing and brand management opportunities in the digital revolution and helps readers to navigate and make sense of the fluid and complex online media environment. David is also author of the popular “Making News: A Straight-Shooting Guide to Media Relations,” which is used widely as a college textbook and “field guide” for best practices in the field of communications.
David has appeared on nearly every major media organization in the world, including CBS Evening News, CBS Morning News, NBC Nightly News, The Today Show, BBC News, Mutual Radio, Westwood One Radio, National Public Radio, The Voice of America, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, Associated Press, The Times of London … and on and on.
Awards and accolades.
Among many distinctions, David received a Platinum Record for marketing of the historic Three Tenors Concert in Rome to become the biggest-selling classical recording and concert in history.
David taught strategic communications, the tenets of journalism, and news writing for many years as an adjunct professor at the University of Virginia and has been a lecturer at the George Washington University graduate school of communications.
David is a native of the Washington, DC, area. In spare time, David travels with his wife; is an avid photographer; published author; enjoys opera, choral, and baroque music. He is a licensed pilot who has flown many aircraft, from the Gulfstream IV (from Beijing to Anchorage), the latest Honda Jet, and private aircraft.
David Henderson’s photo (high resolution, ~2MB) for download – click here.
Photo by Cecil Brathwaite.
All intellectual property, images and other materials on this site are ©1998-2020 David E. Henderson, and may not be used or reproduced without specific permission.